Join with your local colleagues to learn, build your business, and thrive. It costs you almost nothing. Visit our registration page or call (510) 845-8712
“My NCTA membership makes a difference. Every year I get jobs from my membership in this association.”
Marianne Reiner, English > French Translator
There are more reasons to join NCTA than we have room to list here! Reasons are listed below, but remember that it’s really all about the value of community: By attending events and training sessions face-to-face with other local translators, you get valuable tips and support so you can develop as a professional. Most importantly, if you participate in our online professional database of individual linguists and companies, just one project referral could pay for the cost of your membership. One project can lead to a new client.
- Get work: Our highly visible online referral service is one of the easiest ways for new clients to find you.
- Don’t reinvent the wheel: Translators and interpreters benefit from our members-only online email group, through lively exchanges on pertinent topics of the trade—payment issues, client negotiations, technology solutions, etc.
- Access linguistic resources: Join our members-only email group where other translators can give you feedback on terminology issues.
- Get more work: Companies and outsourcers also benefit from our email group by being plugged into the local community of language professionals, a rich source for job placement.
- Discover new skills: Continuing education workshops throughout the year help you build new skills and keep old ones up to date.
- Stay informed: Receive our own industry journal, Translorial, as part of your membership. Members can download back issues on the site. See selected articles at translorial.com.
- Gain credibility: Add the NCTA member logo to your business card, résumé, and website to show potential clients that you are committed to your profession.
- Find technology help: Keep up with the latest developments in software and hardware through presentations at our meetings and workshops, as well as on our members-only online group.
- Keep in touch: Receive e-mail newsflashes with the latest NCTA news and events information.
- Network with the pros: Meet other translators and interpreters at our quarterly general meetings and informal social events.
- Ensure you’re working for reliable clients while receiving a 25% discount off the regular subscription price of the Payment Practices list. (The discount is available to members only on this page.)
- Prepare for ATA Certification: Attend our certification workshops for tips on how to prepare for the American Translators Association certification exam. And be notified as soon as a local exam sitting is scheduled.
- Earn ATA Continuing Education Points: Maintain your ATA certification by attending our workshops, webinars and meetings, or writing an article for Translorial. Being a member of NCTA alone will earn you one point per reporting period.
- Build community: Get involved with NCTA to build a professional community you can count on.
All members are required to register and pay dues; the join date will be the renewal due for each year thereafter. Membership in NCTA is open to individuals, companies, and institutions engaged in translating or interpreting and related services who agree to abide by the American Translators Association Code of Ethics and Professional Practice. Please read the ATA Code of Ethics here.
Join over 400 translators, interpreters and language service providers today!
Visit our registration page or call us at (510) 845-8712.
Questions? Feedback? Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions or !