- This event has passed.
NCTA Virtual General Meeting – Please RSVP by Aug. 28
August 29 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pmFree
NCTA has always preferred to hold face-to-face events but as you know, it is no longer possible at the moment. We’d like to invite you to the second Virtual General Meeting, directly from home.
We will host our meeting on Zoom. You will need to RSVP to this invitation from the NCTA website, while logged-in or by providing your email address. After you confirm your attendance, you will receive an email with the Zoom details just prior to the meeting. Please RSVP by Friday, August 28th, 6:30pm US Pacific time, to receive the Zoom invitation! No EXCEPTIONS!
– Welcome and NCTA business
– Guest Speaker
– Virtual networking
Ever wondered what it’s like to provide language services in a disaster situation? Eight months after the earthquake that devastated Haiti in January 2010, Pamela Gilbert-Snyder traveled to Port-au-Prince to volunteer her interpretation services as part of a mobile medical unit providing outpatient care to four different tent cities. Join us to hear her talk about trip organization and logistics, language preparation, and what it was like to live and work with a 25-person crew in extreme and sometimes dangerous situations.
About the speaker:
Pamela Gilbert-Snyder, M.A. French, M.A. T&I (MIIS), MFA Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts (UC Riverside), is an ATA-certified, independent translator (F-E) with 30+ years’ experience translating in legal, financial, environmental, and medical fields (including public health). Published work includes Oil Addiction, by Pierre Chomat, Embracing the Unknown, by Graziella Chabanel, and work in the fields of sailing, tourism, plays, and current events. She is based in the San Francisco Bay area, where she is quarantining with her husband, 21-year-old daughter, 87-year-old mother, dog, cat, and a lonely fish called Uno.
Instructions to Connect – Zoom
If you have never used Zoom before, here are a few tips:
- 1.) If you have RSVPd, you will receive a link to the meeting with meeting ID and password. You won’t be able to join without that link.
- 2a.) To join the meeting, simply click on the link (preferably a bit before the meeting starts). If you have never joined a Zoom meeting before, you will be prompted to download an app to your device. There are Zoom apps for desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
- 2b.) If you have joined a Zoom meeting before and have the Zoom app on your device, simply click on the link.
- 2c.) Alternatively, without installing anything, you can simply call in by phone (audio only) to the phone number given in the link. You’ll then be asked to enter the Zoom ID and password by typing on your phone.
- 3.) If you are joining a Zoom meeting, you do not need a Zoom account.
- 4.) Once you’ve connected to the meeting, follow the instructions of the meeting host.